Jun 3, 2011

Press Flower Art

What if we can find a way to preserve the beautiful flowers from our garden. This thought was always in my mind until my cousin showed me the way. My cousin is a press flower artist.  He took me to his home and then his art gallery exhibit. My cousin, Dr. Xiao was a trained Medical Doctor from China. After he retired, he pursued a life long hobby of designing and creating press flower art. He has now exhibited his work of art in Foster City, San Mateo, Milpitas, Oakland and Los Angeles.  In his spare time, he travels around searching for different species of flower petals, leaves and tree skins and then carefully pressed them to a point that these flowers, leaves and tree barks became paper thin and so preserved these collections to be used in his art creations. He uses different flower shapes to form rock formations, trees, and anything you can think of to create beautiful painting like displays. I took photographs of his art in one of his exhibits and with his permission, I like to share them below. I was using my Iphone camera so it may not give it justice as they deserve. But here it is.


Add caption
Add caption



Seascape

Riverscape

Dancer

Flying Birds

Flowers

Flower landscape

Flower displays

Eagle and his prey

Dancer

Mount Fuji

Flower 

Waves

Flower

Landscape

Flower pattern

Flowers

Flower

Collection samples

Collection samples


Some of the ornaments made with press flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment