Feb 1, 2011

The Happy Wanderer - A Climbing Species of Lilac

It is Winter in Fremont, California, and most of my flowers and trees are in a dormant state, this climbing Lilac vine is blooming. The scientific name is Hardenbergia Violacea. It is also known as Happy Wanderer, False Sarsapartlla, Purple Cora Pea, Native Llilac and Waraburra. It is an Australian flowering plant.  The flowers are usually violet but can be white. The leaves are dark green.

This is a very aggressive plant. I planted two of them near one of my flowering trees. Over the years, this climbing lilac climbed all over the flowering tree and suffocated it. Now I transplanted this vine onto  the base of one of my side fence and the vine covers my fence and produces the most beautiful color on my side yard.


 The best thing I like about this plant is that it requires no maintenance if planted on the fence. All that I need to do is to make sure it stays on the fence. I like the brilliant colors it produces. It is a hardy plant and it grows very fast.

3 comments:

  1. I've been looking for something like this. I'm in Morgan Hill, so hope it will work here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. Where did you buy it?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This plant is available in most nurseries. The last time I saw them was in Home Depot and Lowes. They had them on sale too.

    ReplyDelete